Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fourth of July

Fourth of July has always been a big holiday in my family. My grandma's birthday is the 4th and for as long as I can remember, the entire family got together for the weekend. Typically we would gather at my grandparents' lake house for a weekend of food (oh the food), water, giant slip 'n slides, boating, family, fireworks and fun. My grandpa usually planned the whole weekend from the deep fried junk food lunch to the AMAZING fireworks show he put on every year. I don't even know the last time I've been to a fireworks show other than my grandpa's.

As you can imagine, this year was going to be rough come July 4. Not only is my grandpa not here to lead this family in our traditions but it was the double whammy for my grandpa in that it was her first birthday without him. Sucks. We asked her what she wanted to do and she said to avoid the lake scene altogether. We decided to spend Fourth of July in the woods instead.

I think it was a great idea and we all had a great time even though I think everyone had their moments in which they reflected on Grandpa not being there. The hardest part for me was my brother lighting off fireworks at night. I think we were all kind of pretending it wasn't really Fourth of July but you can't deny what the fireworks mean.

On the actual 4th, my grandma wanted to visit my grandpa's hunting spots on the property and spread ashes. It was the perfect day to do it and a great way to keep my grandpa "part of the action" that weekend. My dad even created little memorials at each of the locations so you can give him a wave when you drive by on the four wheelers.

Going to spread ashes

At one of the hunting spots

Grandma and her brother (Uncle Dick)

Drinking a beer with a baby on my back. I'm klassy like that.

Madelyn and her Grandma

Bar 10
All in all, it was great to spend that time together as a family and we all realized we will get through this together!

No comments: