Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sunday at the Barish House

Going back to work and still managing our house plus being a mom has posed some challenges.  I remember growing up and eating dinner with my family every single night.  I've researched the heck out of parenting and a common piece of wisdom I've found is make sure you eat with your kids.  I take my responsibility of providing dinner for our family seriously and I don't want to just throw a Hot N Ready or some microwave meal on the table three nights a week.  Just before my maternity leave ended I was flipping channels on Sunday morning and found Rachael Ray's new show "Week in a Day". 

The idea behind the show is simple.  Cook on Sunday.  Eat all week.  I decided to try it out and we've done it three weeks in a row now.  I love spending Sunday in the kitchen while Nick putters around the house and Madelyn supervises from her swing.  Sometimes we have Ben and he's playing Legos in the livingroom while Ziggy chases the cats around the house.  I pull Pandora up on the laptop and sing to Miss. M while we make five different dinners for the week.

Here's last Sunday in pictures.
The scene
My little supervisor and her new friend, Sophie

My stir crazy husband and his newest house project

Still cooking but the boss moved positions

Taking a break from chasing the cats
 
The finished product - a week's worth of dinners!
This week I made Chili, Chicken Pot Pie, Louisiana Style Shrimp, Lemon Chicken and French Onion Soup.

2 comments:

Georgette said...

Nice! I've been watching that show too, and I'm always intrigued.

How long did it take you on Sunday?

Kate said...

thanks for posting. I so wish I could cook all that in one day!!