Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Hearty Turkey Chili
This is another weight watchers recipe and it was so full of flavor I had to pass it along. The leftovers only lasted until the next day and Nick finished it off. I served it with homemade cornbread and Nick added Velveeta cheese to his.
1 tsp canola oil - I forgot to use this and didn't notice a difference
1 large onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - minced
2 carrots - thinly sliced into rounds
1 lb lean ground turkey - I use Jennie-O extra lean and it wasn't too dry
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP paprika
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tomatoes - chopped
1 c. canned tomato sauce - I used an entire 14.5 oz can
1 c. canned chicken broth - I used an entire 14.5 oz can
1 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
15 oz can kidney beans - rinsed and drained
1 green pepper - chopped
1. Coat a large pot with cooking spray and place over medium heat
2. Add oil and onion - saute onion until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and carrots. Cook until garlic is softened, about 1 minute. Add turkey - brown meat.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until meat and veggies are tender - about 30-45 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.