Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Tex-Mex Turkey Meatloaf and Creamy Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
The meatloaf is a Weight Watchers recipe and the potatoes came from the most recent Food & Family. I just added some green beans and cherry tomatoes that I sauteed with a tiny bit of olive oil and a crazy amount of garlic. The potatoes were incredibly dense if that makes sense. I think the sheer amount of cheese may have had something to do with it. I also messed with the proportions a bit since the recipe serves 10. I am going to include the original recipe so that you can try cutting it yourself. The meatloaf was delicious and incredibly point friendly!
Ingredients - Meatloaf
1.5 lbs. gound turkey breast (if you use lean, I bet it's even fewer points)
1 c. chunky salsa
1 onion - finely chopped
1/2 c. frozen corn kernels
1/3 c. instant mashed potato flakes
1 egg white
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions - Meatloaf
1. Preheat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with spray.
2. Combine the turkey, 1/2 c. of the salsa, onion, corn, potato flakes, egg white, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to the sheet and form into a 4x9 loaf. Spread the remaining salsa over the top.
3. Bake until an instant read thermometer reads 165 (I don't think I own an instant read and I just sliced it open and it looked done. My thermometer read 145). Approx 45-50 min. Let stand about 10 min before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.
Serving size - 2 slices - 3 points
Ingredients - Potatoes
2 lb. red potatoes (about 8) cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 c. chicken broth
4 oz. cream cheese - cubed
1/2 c. sour cream
3 TBSP. grated parmesan cheese
Instructions - Potatoes
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Add broth and cover. Bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring after 8 minutes. Uncover and stir potatoes. Simmer, uncovered for 5-6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and most of the broth is absorbed.
2. Add cream cheese and reduce heat to low. Mash potatoes slightly until cream cheese is melted. Add sour cream and parmesan. Mash until potatoes are smooth and heated through.