Thursday, December 1, 2011

9 weeks!

That's right folks! We've got a due date. May 9, 2012! Now, I am planning on a June baby. Not because there is anyway I would actually have this baby in June but because I drove myself nuts last time around and the little stinker decided to really make me work for it by coming a week late. This way, I will be happy when this one makes a debut in May.

I had my first ultrasound today for dating purposes and got to see the little bean's heartbeat - 167. I have to say the whole thing is even more exciting this time around because I already have a glimpse of what I get in the end of this whole process - another sweet face to squish!!

Still getting a little queasy here and there and mega tired but other than that, life is good. Per my home scale, I am actually losing weight and really would like to keep my weight gain to a minimum this time around. I gained about 30lbs with Madelyn and lost it all plus 5 more after she was born but I still have a few extra pounds I could stand to lose so if I could keep my weight gain around the 20lb mark I would be a happy mama.

Still in my regular clothes but they are getting a little tighter at the end of the night.

On the VBAC front - I am signed up with the CNM through UofM and intend to go that route until I make a decision. Nick and I are meeting with another homebirth midwife later this month for another perspective and I have my first appointment with the hospital midwife this month as well.

Financially, it is actually cheaper for me to deliver in the hospital versus home birth because Nick just enrolled in awesome insurance through work. We have $10 co pays and pay $0 for delivery. In a home birth scenario, we would be responsible for 100% which is in the $2000-$3000 range. I really don't want money to be a deciding factor in this but it is something to consider.

I also can't seem to shake the "what if" factor. What if something goes wrong? I know if I can't get over this, it will be hard for me to trust my body to do what it needs to do to get this baby here safely. I am now thinking about laboring at home as long as possible and then heading to the hospital for the actual delivery. Plus, if I'm being honest - the couple days in the hospital doing nothing but love on this new baby is a pretty nice thing. I can see me pushing myself to do too much too soon if I am at home. Still, and I know I've mentioned this before, my concern is that most ruptures occur before the pushing stage of labor. Ruptures are typically detected through fetal monitoring. If I can find a doula that is willing to do fetal monitoring as well I would feel more comfortable with this scenario. A lot of midwives are also doulas and you can hire them in either capacity but I don't know if they will mix the roles and provide some midwifery care when acting as a doula.

Ugh - so much to think about!

**only 2 more backdated posts to go!

No comments: