Monday, January 19, 2009

Baked Blueberry Peach French Toast


I started making this on Saturday morning and as I was pulling it out of the oven, Nick reminded me that we were meeting his parents for lunch at 11am. It was 10:30. So, into the fridge the dish went and we ate it the next day. I think I would cook it a little longer because it tasted a little mushy to me. Either that or sticking it in the fridge overnight might have messed it up too. FYI - you can make it up until the point that you have to bake it. Cover it and then just cook it when you're ready. Nick and Ben both liked it.

Ingredients
16 slices light whole wheat bread - I don't know what they are talking about here. I only used 12ish and that was cramming them together.
1 c. blueberries - fresh OR frozen - thawed
1 c. peaches - chopped - fresh OR frozen - thawed
2 1/2 cc. fat free skim milk
2 c. fat free egg substitute
2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP powdered sugar

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Arrange 8 (or in my case, 6) slices of bread in bottom of a 9x13 inch basking dish, squishing slices together to make one layer. Sprinkle blueberries and peaches over top.

3. In a med. bowl, whisk together milk, egg substitute, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour half of milk mixture over fruit and top with another layer of bread. Pour remaining milk mixture over bread. Using a spatula, press top layer of bread down to saturate with milk mixture.

4. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 min. Uncover and bake until egg mixture is set and top is golden brown, about 10 min more. Cool slightly before sifting powdered sugar over top. Slice into 8 pieces.

Serving size - 1 piece - 4 points

No comments: