Monday, January 19, 2009
Baked Mac & Cheese plus Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Mac and cheese that is waist line friendly!!! I made it while Nick ran to the store and ended up leaving it in the oven for an extra 10 min waiting for him to get home, which soaked up some of the extra cheese. I used some of the cheese sauce from the broccoli and it was still super yummy!! I would definitely recommend this one!! The broccoli was good. I was indifferent to the cheese sauce but added it anyway in an attempt to convince Ben that veggies can be tasty. He said "I didn't mind them". He is too funny. He has started figuring out that I count the points to everything and now he wants to know how many points are in the foods he eats. Interesting twist - he thinks the most points wins! Nick tried telling him it's like golf but I think it got lost in translation.
Mac & Cheese Ingredients
12 oz. uncooked macaroni, elbow type - I used Ronzoni Smart Taste which shaves off a point
1/2 c. fat free sour cream
12 oz. fat free evaporated milk
8 oz. low fat chedder - shredded
1 TBSP. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 TBSP dried bread crumbs
2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
Mac & Cheese Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and transfer to a bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream and set aside.
3. Heat milk in a small saucepan over med heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges. Apparently, this is called scalding. Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 min. Remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Add cheese mixture to pasta and mix well. Transfer to a 3 quart casserole dish.
5. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over pasta.
6. Bake until top is golden. About 30 min.
1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
1 1/2 c. fat free skim milk
2 TBSP flour
3/4 c. low fat shredded chedder
2 tsp. dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender. I threw it in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap and threw it in the microwave for about 5 min. Drain off excess water once steamed.
2. Meanwhile, in a med saucepan, whisk together milk and flour until blended. Place over med/high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 min. Remove from heat. (as I type this I just realized I skipped the whole thickening step...I guess that explains why my sauce was a little runny) Whisk in cheese until melted. Whisk in mustard and salt.
3. Pour sauce over broccoli and toss until coated. FYI - there is a lot of cheese sauce for the amount of broccoli. I served the broccoli and then drizzled cheese sauce over top. Or you can add more broccoli to the recipe.
Serving size - Mac & Cheese - 1 c. - 5 points - 4 points with ronzoni pasta. Broccoli - 1 c. - 2 points