Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Another Weight Watchers veggie laz recipe. The one I posted quite awhile ago didn't have any cheese in it. This one is absolutely loaded with cheese. Also, Ben (the 6 year old) loves this recipe. It calls for shredded carrots and I would suggest buying shredded carrots instead of trying to shred baby carrots; majoy PITA! Again, I subbed the Ronzoni lasagna noodles in place of whole wheat noodles (same points value). I cook the pasta while doing steps 2 and 3. It saves a little time and all of the components need to cool before assembling.
9 lasagna noodles - cooked and drained - I don't remember where I read this but if you cool your noodles by laying them out on foil they don't stick to each other and get all nasty and tear.
8 tsp. olive oil
1 onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
2 zucchini - halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
4 carrots - shredded
30 oz. fat free ricotta cheese
2 c. fat free mozzarella - shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
2. Heat 4 tsp of the oil in a large saucepan over med/high heat. Add the onion, garlic and basil. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 2 min. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/2 tsp of the salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cool sauce 10 min.
3. Heat the remaining 4 tsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over med/high heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, about 6 min. Add the carrots and the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt; cook, stirring occassionally, until carrots soften, about 4 min. Remove the skillet from the heat and cook the veggie mixture 10 min.
4. Combine the ricotta cheese, 1.5 c. of the mozz ceese and the egg in a bowl.
5. Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the bottom of the pan. Top with 3 noodles. Spread half of the cheese mix over the noodles. Top with half of the veggies and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat layering the 3 noodles, remaining half of cheese and the veggies. Top with the remaining 3 noodles, 1/3 sauce and 1/2 c. mozz cheese.
6. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake about 35 min. Uncoverand bake until the lasagna is hot and bubbly - 10-12 min. Let stand 10 min before serving.
Serving size - 1/8 of lasagna - 7 points