Monday, January 19, 2009
Weight Watchers Cheese Sticks
Weight Watchers did this whole special on remaking comfort food so I printed a lot of the recipes. This was one of them. I am using the stock photo because I kept them in the oven about 30 seconds too long and the cheese melted just a bit too much and they turned into cheese patties instead of cheese sticks. They still tasted fabulous but not so pretty. Anyway, my only recommendation is to pay attention to the time because if you miss the point to take them out you end up with mush. Also, I want to share a grocery store find that I use in this recipe. Aunt Millie's Fiber for Life bread - 2 slices for just 1 point. 1 slice is actually ZERO points.
2 sprays olive oil cooking spray
8 oz. canned tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground oregano
3 slices reduced calorie wheat bread - torn
1 tsp. dried thyme
8 oz. park skim mozzarella cheese - cut into 8 finger-like shapes
2 TBSP. honey mustard
1. Preheat oven to 400. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and 1 tsp. of oregano. Set pan over low heat and simmer 10 min.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor (or blender, in my case - see previous post) combine bread, remaining tsp. oregano and thyme. Process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Place crumbs in shallow bowl.
4. Coat cheese sticks with honey mustard. Transfer cheese to bread crumb mixture and turn to coat. Arrange cheese on prepared baking sheet and lightly coatt with cooking spray.
5. Bake until golden brown - about 4-5 min. Serve with warmed tomato sauce on the side.
Serving size - 2 sticks and 1/4 c. sauce - 4 points