Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Deviled Beef Short Rib Stew


This recipe came from a "Cooking with Beer" cookbook I picked up at the Target Dollar Spot (my favorite spot in Target). The picture isn't the greatest but it had a lot of flavor. I wouldn't however say it was beer flavored but good anyway. Plus it's a crockpot recipe which I love! Also, I cut the recipe in half and we still had more than enough for leftovers.

Ingredients
4 lbs beef short ribs - trimmed (I used beef stew meat instead and it worked fine)
2 lbs small red potatoes - scrubbed and cut up
8 carrots - peeled and cut into chunks
2 onions - cut into thick wedges (I ran out of onions but it would definitely help the flavor)
1 bottle beer
8 TBSP. brown mustard
3 TBSP worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP cornstarch

Instructions
1. Broil ribs 6 inches from heat on rach in broiler pan 10 min or until well browned, turning once (I just put them on a cookie sheet and it worked fine). Place veggies in bottom of crock pot. Place meat on top of veggies.
2. Combine beer, 6 TBSP mustard and 2 TBSP worcestershire in medium bowl. Pour into crock pot. Cover and cook on high 5 hours or until meat is tender.
3. Transfer meat and veggies to a platter to keep warm. Strain fat from broth and pour broth into saucepan. Combine cornstarch with 2 TBSP cold water in a small bowl. Stir into broth with remaing 2 TBSP mustard and 1 TBSP worcestershire. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to med/low. Cook 1-2 min or until thickened. Stir often. Pass gravy with meat and veggies.

No comments: