Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Creamy Strawberry Puff Pancake
I made this Christmas Eve morning for Nick, Ben and myself. It is in no way a waistline friendly food but it is so yummy, it's worth the splurge. It calls for red current jelly but I just used strawberry and it was fine. It also calls for fresh strawberries which are about impossible to find right now so I just used frozen and thawed them first.
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
4 eggs - beaten
2 TBSP butter/margarine
3/4 c. ricotta cheese
1 tsp. grated orange peel
3 TBSP. powdered sugar
2 TBSP. red currant jelly
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
1. Heat oven to 450. In a medium bowl combine flour, milk and eggs. Whisk until smooth.
2. Melt margarine in medium ovenproof nonstick skillet over med/high heat. Coat skillet with melted butter. Immediately pour batter into hot skillet.
3. Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
4. Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine ricotta, orange peel and 2 TBSP of the powdered sugar. Mix well. Spoon jelly into small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 10-15 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth.
5. Remove pancake from oven. Pancake will collapse. Immediately spoon ricotta cheese mixture over pancake. Top with strawberries, drizzle with melted jelly. Sprinkle remaining TBSP powdered sugar over top. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.