Monday, January 19, 2009
Stuffed Shells and Zucchini Flan
The shells were tasty and super cheesy. The recipe calls for canned sauce but I would add some seasoning to it just to jazz it up a bit. Other than that, super easy and yummy. The zucchini flan was delicious! I actually ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day. I used a grater to shred the zucchini and it worked but took forever. I would definitely recommend a food processor if you have one. Nick and I have added that to the mental wedding registry list.
Stuffed Shells Ingredients
1 c. part skim ricotta cheese
1 c. fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP dried oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 c. canned tomato sauce
1 lb. cooked jumbo shell pasta - approx. 24 shells
Stuffed Shells Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix together cheeses, salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
3. Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce on bottom of a 9x13 in. dish.
4. When cookeed shells are cool enough to handle, fill each shell with cheese mixture and place in baking dish. Side note: make sure you get a good grip on the shell, they are slippery little buggers. When all the shells are in dish, spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells. Cover pan and bake for 20 min.
Zucchini Flan Ingredients
7 small zucchini - trimmed and shredded
2 sprays olive oil cooking spray
4 large eggs - beaten
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. fresh oregano - minced OR 1/4 tsp. dried
1/3 c. parsley - minced (I just used dried, aboout 1 TBSP)
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese (I found fat free and used that - tasted the same to me)
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2. TBSP olive oil
Zucchini Flan Instructions
1. Steam, parboil, or microwave shredded zucchini until soft but not mushy, about 2-7 mintues, depending on the cooking method. Drain thoroughly and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish wiith cooking spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked zucchini, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, feta, parmesan and oil. Pour into a prepared baking dish. Bake until center sets, about 3o min. Allow to cool for at least 5 min before cutting into 12 pieces. Serve hot, warm or chilled.
Serving size - 4 shells - 4 points & 1 piece of flan - 2 points